Four Provinces, Including Saskatchewan, Call on Feds to Suspend Assault-Type Gun Buy-Back Program – SwiftCurrentOnline.com
The Prairie provinces and New Brunswick have called on the Canadian government to drop plans to use police resources to purchase assault-style firearms from the public.
Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and New Brunswick discussed the issue at the 2022 meeting of federal, provincial and territorial ministers responsible for justice and public safety. The Prairie provinces had already written to their RCMP divisions saying provincial funds should not be earmarked for the program.
Saskatchewan Minister of Corrections, Police and Public Safety Christine Tell and Saskatchewan Minister of Justice and Attorney General Bronwyn Eyre said in a joint statement that the program will harm people using firearms for legal and noble causes.
“While we fully support criminal initiatives that focus on issues related to the criminal use of illegal firearms, preventing and combating gang violence, and addressing the issue of illegal or contraband firearms in our province, we do not support those that have an impact on compliance with the law. hunters, sport shooters, ranchers, farmers and Indigenous peoples who use firearms for good and legitimate reasons,” they said.
Alberta Justice Minister and Solicitor General Tyler Shandro said the program would be expensive.
“Two years ago, the federal government said using police resources would be ‘expensive and inefficient.’ Now the federal government is using police resources to seize firearms from Canadians. Make no mistake, the federal gun confiscation program will cost us billions and will not improve public safety. The Government of Alberta is not legally required to provide resources and will not.
The Canadian government claims to have banned more than 1,500 models and variants of assault-type firearms, divided into 11 categories:
Retrieved from publicsafety.gc.ca
The list price offered ranges from $1,139 to $6,209, depending on the category of weapon.
“Put simply, assault-type firearms, like the AR-15, have no place in Canada,” Canadian Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said in a statement. “By design, their goal is to kill as many people as possible, which is why our government has taken the bold step of banishing them from our country, once and for all.”
The federal government said:
- It will be mandatory for individuals to participate in the buyback program, have their assault-type firearms rendered unusable at government expense, or otherwise dispose of them legally.
- The proposed price list has been developed to reflect what Canadians could have paid for the various styles of firearms prior to May 2020.
- An amnesty order is in place until October 30, 2023 to protect lawful owners of now prohibited firearms from criminal liability.