New Brunswick Reports 106th Death Linked to COVID-19; 40 new infections on Friday
New Brunswick reported five new COVID-19-related deaths on Friday, bringing the total number of virus-related deaths in the province to 106.
“Unfortunately, five other people have lost their lives as a result of this virus,” Premier Blaine Higgs said in a statement. number and high infection rate in these areas. “
According to Public Health, four of the deaths involve people in the Moncton area (Zone 1) and include:
- Two people in their sixties
- A person in their 70s
- A person in the 80s
One death concerns an individual from the Campbellton region (zone 5) in his sixties.
“Every loss caused by the COVID-19 virus is heartbreaking,” Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell said in a statement. “These lost lives remind us why we must do all we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones. those including getting vaccinated and following public health measures and any restrictions in place. “
40 NEW CASES, 67 RECOVERIES
New Brunswick reports 40 new cases of COVID-19, along with 67 recoveries on Friday, as the total number of active infections drops to 731.
Of the new cases, 29 – or 73% – are not vaccinated, two – or five percent – are partially vaccinated and nine – or 22% – are fully vaccinated.
REGIONAL BREAKDOWN OF NEW CASES
The 25 new cases in Zone 1 (Moncton area) are as follows:
- 10 people 19 years old and under;
- two people in their twenties;
- four people in their thirties;
- four people in their fifties;
- three people in their sixties;
- someone in their sixties; and
- a person in the 80s.
Twenty-four cases are under investigation and one is a contact of a previously confirmed case.
The three new cases in Zone 2 (Saint John area) are:
- a person in their twenties;
- someone in their 40s; and
- someone in their sixties.
All three cases are under investigation.
The five new cases in Zone 3 (Fredericton area) are as follows:
- three people 19 years of age and under;
- a person in their twenties; and
- a person in their thirties.
All five cases are under investigation.
The five new cases in zone 4 (Edmundston region) are as follows:
- a person 19 years of age and under;
- a person in their thirties;
- a person in their fifties; and
- two people in their sixties.
All five cases are under investigation.
The two new cases in Zone 5 (Campbellton area) are both 19 years of age and under. One case is under investigation and the other is a contact of a previously confirmed case.
Further information is available on the COVID-19 Dashboard.
THE MAJORITY OF ICU CASES REMAIN UNVACCINATED
According to public health, 50 people are currently hospitalized in New Brunswick. Of these, 25 are unvaccinated, three are partially vaccinated and 22 are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Health officials say there is no one in the hospital under the age of 19.
New Brunswick has 15 people in an intensive care unit, 14 of whom are unvaccinated and one person is partially vaccinated.
Public health reported on Friday that 83.3% of eligible New Brunswickers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and 92% have received their first dose.
All eligible New Brunswickers can make an appointment for the second dose for a date that is at least 28 days after the first dose.
A list of upcoming mobile and walk-in clinics is available online.
PROOF OF STANDARDIZED VACCINATION
The provincial government is working with the federal government and other provincial and territorial governments to develop standardized proof of vaccination that will facilitate travel across Canada and abroad.
“New Brunswick has reached all stages in this development work with other provinces and territories, and we are on track to provide proof of QR code vaccination attestation by mid-November,” said Higgs said.
Proof of vaccination will be accessible on any electronic device and will be printable.
UPDATE ON SCHOOL SPORTS AND AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Beginning Friday, teams and extracurricular groups will be permitted to travel within New Brunswick, including travel within and outside of circuit breaker communities. Students under 12 in circuit breaker communities will also be able to resume school sports and extracurricular activities, following the guidelines of the School of Health and Safety.
All these activities continue to be the subject of guidelines provided for in the mandatory decree.
“Spectators are permitted to attend school-related events taking place outside of school facilities if they show proof of two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine and meet masking and physical distancing requirements “, says the press release.
Starting Friday, October 29, spectators will be allowed to attend sports and extracurricular activities in school buildings, provided they adhere to masking, physical distancing, and any other operational requirements defined by schools or districts.
All events will require the cooperation and support of families and community volunteers. If there aren’t enough community members who volunteer to help run the events, individual schools and school districts may choose not to allow spectators.
HALLOWEEN TIPS IN ZONES WITHOUT CIRCUIT BREAKER
Public health recommends that residents who want to sleight of hand this Halloween in areas without a circuit breaker travel only with their household alone, plus up to 20 consistent contacts.
“People who dispense treats in non-breaker areas should sanitize their hands between visitors, keep high contact areas such as doorknobs and railings clean, and provide treats by non-contact means,” he said. public health wrote in a press release on Friday.
“Do not allow children to take candy from a treat bowl unless the treats are arranged so that children do not touch other treats when they are taking theirs. Individual treat bags are a good option. on leaving and returning home. “
More information is available online.
HALLOWEEN’S GUIDE IN BREAKER ZONES
Health officials say in breaker areas travel for a ride or treatment is limited to one household and an appropriate distance, masking, and existing restrictions on indoor gatherings must be observed.
Persons dispensing treats in a circuit breaker area should provide treats by non-contact means. Everyone must wear community masks when unable to maintain a distance of at least two meters.
“We want kids across the province to be able to enjoy Halloween, but it’s imperative that everyone does it in the safest way possible,” said Russell.
More information is available online.
CIRCUIT BREAKER EXTENSION REMINDER
In a live COVID-19 press conference on Thursday, Higgs said that while the number of new and active cases had moved in the right direction since the province implemented “blackout” measures “On October 8, the numbers were still too high.
“That is why, on the advice of public health and the cabinet’s COVID-19 committee, we have decided to extend the circuit breaker measurement by at least seven days,” Higgs said Thursday. “The Delta variant is unlike anything we’ve known so far, which is why we have to treat it differently.”
The affected sectors are zone 1 (Moncton region) as far north as Sainte-Anne-de-Kent and including Havelock in zone 2; the northern part of Zone 3 of and including Deerville and Florenceville-Bristol, but excluding Hayesville and Parker Ridge; and all of zone 4 (Edmundston region).
Russell said in a press release that the measures will be lifted when public health can confirm “a continued downward trend in the number of cases and a decline in the seven-day average of new hospital admissions.”
ZONE 5 14 DAY BREAKER STARTS FRIDAY
On Thursday, New Brunswick Public Health announced that Zone 5 (the Campbellton area) will enter a 14-day circuit breaker starting Friday at 6 p.m. to bring the high number of COVID-19 transmissions in the region under control.
You can find more information online about the the rules of the circuit breaker and the areas it covers, including maps.
QUICK TEST KITS AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP
Public health has made rapid and free COVID-19 tests available for those who have not tested positive for COVID-19.
The tests are designed for people two years of age and older, and most have five tests to use over a 10-day period. People 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult to purchase a kit.
The province distributed 9,471 rapid test kits on Thursday.
CONFIRMED CASES IN SCHOOLS AND CHILDCARE
A new case has been confirmed at the Dieppe Power Play Daycare in Zone 1 (Moncton area). Affected families have been notified. If you or a family member has been in close contact with a case, you will be notified by the public health or contact tracing facility. If you are not notified directly, you have not been identified as a close contact.
Since September 7, 57 learning and child care institutions have had confirmed cases of COVID-19.
POTENTIAL PUBLIC EXHIBITIONS
A map of potential public exhibitions is also available on the site COVID-19 Dashboard.