Point joins list of Hockey Canada players who denied involvement in sexual assault case in 2018


Support for survivors


If you or someone you know has been sexually abused and needs support, those in Canada can find centres, crisis lines and services specific to each province. here. For readers in America, a list of resources and references can be found here.

Colton Point, a goaltender who was a member of Canada’s World Juniors team at the center of Hockey Canada’s re-opened investigation into an alleged sexual assault in 2018, released a statement Wednesday saying he was “no ‘no way involved’ in what is said to have taken place.

Point’s statement comes a day after four other members of that team — St. Louis Blues forwards Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas, Chicago Blackhawks forward Taylor Raddysh and free agent center Sam Steel – released their own statements, denying they were involved in the incident.

“As a member of the 2018 World Juniors team, I became aware for the first time of the allegations made against certain members of this team in 2019,” said the statement, which was shared on social media. “At this time, I fully cooperated with Hockey Canada’s initial investigation. I was in no way involved in the alleged incident and am prepared to cooperate with any further investigation in the future.”

Point’s statement was identical to that advanced by Raddysh on Tuesday. Both players are represented by Wasserman Hockey.

The sexual assault allegations first came to light in May after Hockey Canada settled a lawsuit with a woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight CHL players, including members of the World Juniors team. 2018, in London, Ontario. in June 2018.

In the weeks that followed, Hockey Canada came under intense scrutiny for its handling of the incident. Last month the government froze its funding and soon after several major sponsors announced they were withdrawing their support for the organization ahead of the next (rescheduled) 2022 World Juniors in August, demanding change and accountability. within the organization. A public outcry over who knew what and when also ensued.

Thomas’ statement came early Tuesday afternoon, sparking an influx of similar comments from players who were part of the squad. In it, he said he “had no involvement” and did not witness the incident that was described.

Kyrou’s statement came after his Blues teammate claimed he was not in London, Ont., at all at the time of the alleged incident.

“I want to make it clear that I did not attend the Hockey Canada Gala and was not in London, Ontario at the time of the alleged incident,” Kyrou wrote. “I stand ready to cooperate with any further investigation in the future if required.

Kyrou, like Thomas, did not note whether or not he had knowledge of the alleged incident before it became public. Raddysh and Point said they became aware of the event which allegedly took place in 2019.

Public player statements began this week with Arizona Coyotes defenseman Conor Timmins posting a comment through his agency, Quartexx Hockey, on social media on Monday.

“I was not involved in any way with the incident that gave rise to the allegations that have been reported,” the Timmins statement said. “No one is alleging that I was present or involved and I have no personal knowledge of what happened. I fully cooperated with Hockey Canada’s initial investigation and will continue to cooperate with any further investigation. if needed.”

Statements throughout the week brought the total to seven made by a World Junior Team member after Victor Mete – who is also represented by Quartexx – posted his own statement on Twitter last month, saying that he was on vacation with his family and out of the country at the time of the alleged incident. (Mete’s agent, Darren Ferris, had previously told Hockey Unfiltered’s Ken Campbell that Mete was out of the country at the time.)

In May, Sharks forward Jonah Gadjovich’s agent said San Jose Hockey Now via a statement that his client was “not involved in the incident.” Cale Makar, asked about the allegations at a press briefing ahead of the Stanley Cup final, told reporters he was not involved and had been interviewed by Hockey Canada investigators. (Makar also said he has been contacted by the NHL about the league’s own investigation and will “be very cooperative.”) Agents for Cal Foote and Dante Fabbro also made statements to Campbell saying their clients were not involved.

Last Thursday, Hockey Canada announced that it was reopening its investigation. The attorney for the woman who filed the lawsuit against Hockey Canada, the CHL and the Eight Players Anonymous told Sportsnet that her client will participate in the reopened investigation. Hockey Canada settled the lawsuit, which was filed in London on April 20, in May. The case was not heard in court.

Comments are closed.