Sydney and Halifax area schools to reopen on Thursday
Nova Scotia is reporting 17 new COVID-19 cases as well as 74 recoveries on Monday, bringing the total number of active cases to less than 500 for the first time since the end of April.
The 17 new cases are in the central health zone, according to the province’s COVID-19 dashboard.
Less than two weeks after announcing the closure of all Nova Scotia schools for the year, Premier Iain Rankin said on Monday that schools in Halifax and Sydney would in fact reopen on Thursday. Rankin previously said schools outside those areas would reopen on Wednesday.
Rankin said the decline in COVID-19 numbers led to its reversal.
He also said that starting Tuesday, all travel restrictions in Nova Scotia will be lifted.
“People can go to their cabins, go fishing or hiking in another municipality, or even visit family. However, you must obey the restrictions on indoor and outdoor gatherings, ”said Dr Robert Strang, Chief Medical Officer of the province. health.
Forty Nova Scotians are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, including 16 in intensive care.
Nova Scotia Health Laboratories performed 3,781 tests on Sunday.
On Friday Rankin and Strang announced Nova Scotia reopening plan details, the first phase of which begins on Wednesday.
Strang said the timing of future phases will depend on the province’s COVID-19 epidemiology, vaccine deployment, and the ability of public health and the health system to handle any new cases.
Vaccine appointments are now available to everyone in Nova Scotia aged 12 and over and so far approximately 50% of the total population has received at least one dose.
On Monday, Strang told CBC Information morning he is confident that Nova Scotia will meet immunization targets planned in the reopening plan and optimistic, the plan will move forward every two weeks. Each phase should last between two and four weeks.
“A lot of people would say, and I agree, it would take three to four weeks, but we think the vaccination rates might just get us right in that one incubation period – two weeks,” Strang said.
The province’s active workload has been steadily declining over the past two weeks. As of Monday, there were 448 known active cases, mostly in the central and eastern health zones.
Limited community spread has been confirmed in the central health zone.
Information morning – NS10:24Dr Strang on plans to reopen the province
Atlantic Bubble discussions in progress
Strang said talks about the Atlantic bubble are ongoing. Reopening of the bubble has been tentatively set for July 1, Canada Day, but Strang said he is still wary of New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island border measures.
“The bubble only works if you have a strong bubble around the provinces,” Strang said.
“If there are a lot of holes in the bubble … it will collapse.”
He said plans to reopen New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are “prematurely aggressive” when it comes to letting people in from outside Atlantic Canada without having to go. quarantine.
Strang said he plans to keep the 14-day segregation orders for travelers from outside Atlantic Canada until August.
Atlantic Canada Case Numbers
- New Brunswick reported 12 new cases on Monday. The province has 146 active cases.
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported nine new cases on Saturday and 100 active cases. Four people are hospitalized with the virus.
- PEI reported two new cases on Friday. There are 12 active cases.